Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Down the Rabbit Hole.

8 days.

8 days untill I leave home.

8 days untill I walk away from all my best friends, family, and all comfort and routine that I know.

How do I feel, you ask? Well, it's a tad complicated...

Here's the thing.  On the 25th of January, I, Kelsey, will be leaving the tiny town of Manheim, Pennslyvania and journeying to the magical and beatiful land of Costa Rica.  I will be attending a one year school called Portantorchas, which is primarily a Bible program, where all my classes will be taught in Spanish. Yikes! Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://portantorchas.org/english/index.html

So, I feel excited. Overwhelmed.  Estatic.  Sad.  Exhausted.  Nervous. Thrilled.

Basically, I'm just a conflict of emotions.

Obviously, I'm sad that me going means leaving behind all the people I love.  But currently, I'm mostly excited! (Right now anyway...check back in about 10 minutes.  I may be weeping.)  As a 19 year old who hasn't really left home, save for a few mission's trips, this definatly qualifies as an adventure as well as a challenge.

Up untill last Friday, the 14th of January, I had been working at Morningstar Childcare and Litiz Christian School.  Essentially, I kept children from killing eachother and colored alot.  And at LCS (Litiz Christian School) I was a lunch lady (every high school graduate's dream!), which meant I was responsible for money..and got hit on by middle school boys. 

In all seriousness, though my jobs may not have been glamorous, I truly and deeply loved the kids and people I worked with. I will miss them all.   

And believe it or not, in the midst of all that, I did find time for other activities, and had a social life!  Accomplished, am I not? :)

I also belive deeply in and was a part of a ministry called Shining Light, which is a Christina Performing Arts Prison Ministry.  Pretty much, we sing, dance and do dramas proclaiming God's love in some of the darkest places to some of the most broken people.  I love it.  Sometimes, God shows up in the most unexpected places...like prisons. More on that some other time.  You should totally check out our website, though.  I have every intention of rejoining the group upon my return. http://shining-light.com/

In case you haven't caught on, Jesus is a big part of my life, and I hope in more than just the organizations and ministries I'm a part of.  I strive to fall more in love with Him everday, and although I fail sometimes, I hope this year ahead of me will humble me enough to accept His love. I don't want to just talk about His love, I want to live it.

I'm just not really sure how to yet.

And hopefully that's just a part of what I learn soon enough. Well, I'm off to pack and watch Lord of the Rings with my sister. Check back here often, as I plan to keep this blog updated on what's happening with me Costa Rica!

Peace and blessings, kids. Watch out for Rabbit Holes.

2 comments:

  1. I love you, Kels, and I am so so proud of you!! I'm going to miss you a ton but I'm beyond excited for you to go on this new adventure. Remember that you are NEVER alone, no matter how much it feels like you're leaving everyone you love behind. And if you need reminding, hit me up. ;) Here is a verse that I found comforting when I thought I was going to be in your same boat:
    "God said, 'My presence will go with you. I'll see the journey to the end.'" Exodus 33:14, The Message
    Or, the NIV version:
    "The LORD replied, 'My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.'"

    It's going to be great. Enjoy the ride. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. La vamos a pasar muy bien en Costa Rica y vas a aprender muchisimo. Si necesitas consejos o tienes preguntas cualesquiera mandame un mensaje. Jen y yo estaremos rezando por ti mucho.

    Te quiero compartir el verso que siempre me ayuda superar las pruebas de vida.


    Isaías 41:10
    No temas, que yo soy contigo; no desmayes, que yo soy tu Dios que te esfuerzo: siempre te ayudaré, siempre te sustentaré con la diestra de mi justicia.

    ReplyDelete